Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Added to the collection: Jack White's "Blunderbuss"

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I just bought (literally just bought ... about 30 minutes ago) the new Jack White solo album, "Blunderbuss."


I'm a big fan of Jack White. The White Stripes and The Dead Weather are among the discs I spin the most often when I'm wearing headphones at work (I don't listen to The Raconteurs as much ... I like them fine, but I don't love them). What will I think of Jack's solo work? Hmm.

I've not heard the album yet ... I only know of the two tracks that had official release/exposure earlier, "Love Interruption" and "Sixteen Saltines." I liked both of those, and I'm hopeful that the album as a whole is strong. I've seen the album get pretty strong reviews from magazines I respect (like Mojo), and I've seen other reviewers (mainly online bloggers or crusty traditional reviewers) give it some mixed grades.


I generally don't like to write about stuff I don't like (to date, only Radiohead's "The King of Limbs" has gotten a less-than-glowing entry), and I sure don't sit down and hope to be disappointed by whatever new music I pick up.

I like to approach all music with an open mind and let the experience and the performances inform my opinions. I usually don't let names or affiliations cloud my perspectives, and I won't let Jack White's past work give him an edge (or give him demerits) in my assessments. The album hasn't been trumpeted as the be-all and end-all of music as we know it, so I figure I can afford to be at least that fair (I really tried to do this with Radiohead, too; the unevenness of that album and the critical love affair with that band even when it releases up-and-down works merited some conversation, I thought).

If you folks have picked up "Blunderbuss," let me know what you think. I'm curious as to what your opinions are of the work. What's your favorite song? Which song has the best riff? Have a favorite lyric? A least favorite lyric? Which songs suck? Lay it on me!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...